There are many surgeries and every surgery is important for the health of the patient. If a doctor has taken a decision to perform surgery, there has to be a reason behind it. Talking about open heart surgery, it is a scary but mostly necessary procedure. And being the patient if you are prepared as possible before the surgery takes place can help lessen some of the anxiety linked with such a chief procedure. But inn case it’s essential to perform a coronary artery bypass graft, mostly referred to as a bypass, or one of various other procedures, the doctor might schedule open heart surgery. Don’t worry about the specialists you can easily find the best cardiac surgeons in New-delhi who perform these surgeries every day.
Open heart surgery
Following are nine things that you should definitely know about open heart surgery:
- The most often performed open heart surgery is known as the coronary artery bypass graft, the CABG. It is referred to as “cabbage”), that is a procedure to open the blocked arteries in heart. Studies have found that eighty percent of patients who had CABG were angina-free five years after the procedure of surgery. Angina is chest pain associated with the heart.
- To perform this type of surgery, a surgeon is going to make an incision in your breastbone. It is typically two to five inches long. It separates the muscles to cater access to your heart.
- The patient will be hooked up to a heart-lung machine during the procedure of bypass. This machine continues to push blood via the body so that the doctor can stop the heart from beating to execute the surgery. “Once the bypass is complete, the surgeon will close the breastbone with special sternal wires and the incision with special internal or external stitches. The surgeon might use electrical shocks to restart the heart and the patient will be removed from the heart-lung bypass machine.
- When the patient wakes up from surgery, he or she will have several tubes remaining in their body. There is every possibility that there would be one down the throat. These may include pacing wires and even a chest tube to drain fluid and also a temporary pacemaker.
- You need to ask your doctor how he or she plans to do the graft and where the vein is going to be taken from. Historically, grafts got repaired with the saphenous vein, taken from the patient’s leg. But over time, doctors or surgeons decide they could use the vein from the internal chest wall known as internal thoracic artery or even the internal mammary artery, in a more effective manner.
- Here you have to understand that the selection of a vein for the graft is going to make a difference in your recovery. In case the leg vein does not get used, that is one less surgical site to take into consideration. You might typically have swelling in your leg in case the vein is taken from there and might have to wear support tubes.
- The patient will be in the ICU when he or she wakens, or possibly in a special cardiology ICU. The patient will be in there one to two days after the surgery and he or she would stay in the hospital, in a general situation, for three to eight days after the procedure of surgery.
- Once a patient gets home, it would generally take 6 to 8 weeks to recover from the surgery, and the doctor and hospital shall continue to counsel the patient on exercise, diet.
- There are also patients who report heightened emotions for up to a year after the procedure of surgery. Some studies say that it is common for patients to feel depressed after heart surgery, with nearly twenty percent of CABG patients experiencing chief depression. So, if you too feel little sad or low after the surgery, it is okay. You are not alone.
Thus, the point is that you should be aware of the possibility and you must communicate with healthcare providers because early detection could help in a tremendous manner. Depression also can significantly slow down the procedure of recovery and healing. If you have any type of uneasiness it is important to talk to your heart doctor. Professionals like the best cardiac surgeons In New-delhi come into picture later only. But you have to read out to heart doctor for timely identification.
Thus, having knowledge about what can happen and what happens during the procedure of heart surgery is one thing that would give you confidence about medical procedures.